Thread: Next season??
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 19:39   #533
andyd
God Member

Re: Next season??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL View Post
So you really think that paying the wages they do now is sustainable ?

Coz i can tell you that it isnt and if you think that clubs are over the worse think again dont forget clubs have had two lots of money advanced already so thats two payments they would normally get during this season that wont be coming their way. Some clubs like Tranmere put season tickets on sale very early and have used that money to get by. Then throw into the mix that the PL rescue package isnt going to be anything like the size the clubs were hoping for, the unfurloughing of all staff increasing wage costs considerably, games to be played behind closed doors, a drastic reduction in sponsorhip money that the clubs can expect to attract and you have the perfect storm a recipe for total disaster unless they cut their costs.

And wether you like it or not the only cost most clubs have left to cut is the wages of the playing staff.The cap will go some way to helping them to save themselves from themselves but really its only a sticking plaster as there appear to be any number of holes you could drive through it not least your striker getting a part time job as the marketing and promotions manager for the owners other company.

And in addition 4k a week players need to realise that the security of employment of a 3 year contract on 2k a week provides a damm site more security for him and his family than managing to get 3.5k on a one year contact and then having to go thru it all again at the end of the next two seasons with the risk that an injury or loss of form throws into the equation.

As i.ve said already i.m all for rewarding talent but people have to realise that the only way to do that is to reduce the wages cost of the average journeyman player.
Good post it's a step in the right direction wether it will be enough only time will tell but I don't think football will sadly be the same as before has a enjoyable day with the mates for a while.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote