View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 09:31   #42
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Does it worry you....?

You know Cashy, I think you could be right.
Organisations continue to pander to those who use smart phones, but seem to forget that their foundations were built by the people who they now make life harder and harder for.
The old folk who live in my street not only don't have the internet, but do not have plastic debit cards that you can just swipe and go.
Why is that?
It is because they do not trust them....at all.
They worry about the fact that they could be robbed of their limited cash by someone unscrupulous.....either from the shop they are buying from or someone they do not know.
They trundle down to the post office weekly with their Post Office account card, they tap in their number(and even this is hard for some of them, both the trip and having to remember a number) they get cash for their everyday needs and they can perhaps pay a bill over the counter.

This was how my Mum dealt with things.
She only got a current bank account with a debit card when she was 88... three years before she died.
Yes she had a saving account....with a pass book, but that was no good for dealing with financial transactions.
The bank that she used really did not want to be bothered with her difficulties with her financial doings....and encouraged me to get power of attorney.
She dealt in cash....she felt comfortable with cash. She knew where she was with cash and she looked after it like it was her heart.
Thank goodness she is no longer around to see what a mess life has become.
(And I mean that in the sense of she would have worried about where society is going.....not that I do not miss her....I do)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote