View Single Post
Old 25-11-2020, 10:31   #39
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Crewe match thread

It was a hard earned three points against quite a decent Crewe side that was determined to employ it’s maximum ‘football from the back’ policy. IMHO though I think Stanley are still a ‘work in progress’. Crewe’s determination to play from the back allowed our players, especially Dion Charles in the first half to press them high up the pitch and we won possession a good number of times through this tactic. Sangare took up that role when he came on and Charles went to right back and Dion more than proved his versatility in a new role! Charles was our MOM for me! We took the best chance of the match from a fine free kick by Butcher and excellent centre forward work from Colby Bishop following up as good centre forwards do!
Crewe had a number of scoring chances as we did and the game could easily have been a 3-3 score line or a 3-2 either way. I think that we still need to be more clinical in front of goal. Having said that it is brilliant that we kept another ‘clean sheet’ which can only breed more confidence. Burgess and Nottingham have really brought steel, height, confidence and composure to the team. The extra weapon of Nottingham’s long throw is a great addition to our forward threat too.
As I alluded to earlier, I honestly believe that our team can improve much more yet. I am looking forward to the slick passing football that we have seen Stanley teams develop over the last few seasons since Coley and Jimmy returned. ‘Nail biting matches’ like last night could be replaced by ‘Brazilian Festivals’ of total football when we start to operate on full gas! When we fully enter that realm we really could threaten to win this league.
ON STANLEY ON.
BELIEVE!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote