Thread: Nicknames
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2021, 18:09   #8
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Nicknames

The forces tend to have their own particular favourites & it tended to vary dependent on the service arm. For whatever the reason those named Williams were referred to as "Bungy" by the "Skates" (RN) who also generalised the Army bods as "Percy Pongo". That being the case, our reply to this slanderous & scurillous effrontery was to call the RN "Skates" various explanations of this choice are available, I suggest you check it out yourselves & as for "Crab Airways", the less said the better!

On a personal level, lads & lasses were often named after their local region, yours truly was known as "Scouse" or to differentiate "Scouse Williams" as opposed to the other "Scouse" or more correctly "Scouse McGee". Matters were further muddied when throwing "Birkonians" (Denizens from over the water, Birkenhead & the upper Wirral) into the mix, they may have sounded similar to us proper "Scousers", but being the "Woolies" they were, they basked falsely under the honorifics of "Scouse", absolutely shocking!

Then there was all the heathen Jocklets, Taffies & Paddies, also apportioned & defined along the same lines as the "Scousers" for ease of identifying the indivdual.

One of the most "Grin eliciting" nicknames was "Anddies", to clarify. Shortly after HMs forces did the business on the Falklands, it was noticed by several rather astute Army types that the locals in their wooly hats bore a strong resmblance to Benny from "Crossroads" & so it came to pass that the local FPF Army, took to naming the locals "Bennies".

At some point a local dignitary got a tad miffed when he realized where the reference came from. He then complained to the local garrison commander & asked him to "Have a word!" with the troops & encourage them to show some respect to the local populace & their penguins.

This he dutifully did & the troops promptly complied with the directive, thus "Anddies" became the generic for the falkands populace (less the penguins). For a week or two the GC let it slide despite his obvious curiosity, eventually he had to ask.

GC "You, Pvt Tomkins, what's this Anddies mularky?"
PT "Name of the locals Sir!"
GC "Yes I'm aware of that so?"
PT "Cos we can't call 'em Bennies anymore Sir"
GC "Yes, fine, but why Anddies?"
PT "Well Sir, it's short for And he's still a Benny!"

Now this, is NAAFI/Toc H/YM gospel, as it was repeated & disseminated amongst the serving over the years ..... whether true or not, well that's still open to debate.