Thread: Nuisance Calls
View Single Post
Old 31-05-2021, 00:12   #18
dotti34

Re: Nuisance Calls

I checked my phone when I woke up this morning and oops! I had a missed call at 7 a.m. I had? Hadn’t heard anything. Well what do you know – it was from the Congo! As I do still have a few of those brain cells left of course I deleted it.

Being the curious type I then checked on the Internet and sure enough this is a scam that has been around for ages now, originating in Japan. It is called the ‘Wangiri’ scam, which is Japanese for ‘one ring and cut’. Apparently they only let the phone ring once which then shows up as a ‘missed call’ and they assume a person will return the call. This is a premium rate number, they keep you on the line as long as they possibly can, and there’s a hefty amount added to your phone bill. They pretend they are a mobile network so then your provider sends money on to them from the call you make. Don’t ask – I’m only repeating what I have found out, have no idea how this works. All I know is that they are not getting any of my money and I’m posting this, in case you don’t know about the scam, so they won’t get any of yours, not that I would expect any of you to fall for it - but you just never know.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote