Thread: The Olympics
View Single Post
Old 18-06-2021, 23:06   #39
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: The Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not sure where to ask this sporting question....it is really about football....there is football in the Olympics isn’t there?

Anyway, I am going to ask the gents on the forum how they feel about the increasing number of female pundits, commentators on football?
I believe that women can do anything, but it seems strange to see these women talking about football.
Do you chaps who are avid fans take their commentary seriously...or do you see it as part of the tokenism of wokeness?
From my point of view I do not like sport....any sport, and I freely admit that football is something that I do not understand at all.
I know there has been an upsurge in women’s teams.....but where have these new women commentators come from?
What are their credentials for sitting alongside the likes of Lineker(though I hate that man with a passion) Carragher, Wright.
They played top class football so have some validity.

And to those women out there who love football, play football or just support a team.....I am sorry if this question offends you...it is not meant to.
You’ve hit on something here Margaret.

Female pundits have been around for 40+ years…from Billie Jean King talking tennis and Rachel Heyhoe Flint talking cricket in the 70’s and more recently Gabby Logan on football and Claire Balding on the horses. Sue Barker successfully replaced that doyen of sports broadcasting David Coleman on Question of Sport and presented Sports Personality of the Year a few times.

The problem at the moment is the box tickers…all the females I mentioned know their stuff and are good broadcasters, so much so that gender is irrelevant.

What is happening now is our current ‘woke’ box ticking producers in an attempt at showing that they are inclusive, are throwing females who obviously know their stuff into hi-profile positions but, like bad teachers, they cannot communicate and it’s sticking out like a sore thumb.

And if I posted something like this on twitter I’d be cancelled