Thread: Wine snobbery
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2021, 22:41   #1
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Wine snobbery

I like the fruit of the vine…and I’m in a wine club that delivers monthly. I’m by no means a snob or a connoisseur (yup needed to look up the spelling), I just like what I like. In fact my favourite Red costs £6.99 from Tesco, which being the tightwad that I am, I usually buy when it’s on offer.

I don’t care if it’s peachy, earthy, is best with fish, meat, KFC, smells of the Dordogne or is pressed by barefoot Spanish women clacking castanets doing the flamenco.

Tonight I’ve opened a Sauvignon from the wine club described as…. ’grassy, citrus and mineral’ with an aroma of ‘grass, lime and mineral’ (description and smell pretty much the same..I guess the sommelier employed by my wine club doesn’t have a large vocabulary)

Anyhoo…I pay a monthly sum and the vintners send me 12 mixed bottles..including two of these particular bottles of grass, lime and rock tasting Sauvignon that would normally cost £17.50 each…and…..for my palate it’s drain cleaner!

So…genuine question..who makes the valuation on a bottle of wine? Who decides that my £7 red ain’t as good as the £17 white?