View Single Post
Old 13-11-2021, 20:19   #6
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Plymouth game........

Firstly it was a wonderful Service of Remembrance before the match commenced, impeccably observed by all supporters in the ground. With another great flag produced by The Ultras over the Clayton End goalmouth.
Well Joe, I believe that the 1-4 score line was not a true reflection of the performances of either team. I honestly thought that Stanley were unlucky today to end up with that scoreline. I thought that at half time the score should have been level.
Plymouth’s first goal, an own goal, was unlucky as Hamilton was expecting more of a physical challenge and perhaps for a moment he took his eye off the ball and it hit either his head or shoulder! And where did it go? Looping over Toby and into the net somewhat flukishly. The second goal came after the referee wrongly awarded a throw in to Plymouth which looked like it should have been given to Stanley. Then in the progression into our penalty box there was a helpful, to Plymouth, slight deflection which was followed by a good narrow angled finish. As we kicked off for the second half I thought that if we could get the early goal that we could still get something out of the match. We got the goal after just five minutes which was a well constructed team effort and it was good to see young Tommy Leigh finishing the move.
Had we got the next goal I honestly believe th
at we could have gone on to win the match or at least hold them to a draw!
The referee seemed to make some dodgy decisions at this stage, booking Leigh for winning a header by being stronger than his opponent. "After this Leigh had to play with restraint which allowed their midfield more time on the ball. The other young lad Coyle had been superb and was a revelation for Stanley but with Leigh playing a more reserved game he got a bit overrun. Especially by the best player on the pitch…IMHO Plymouth’s number 7, Broom, who then showed his class with the goal of the match, a super solo curling twenty five yard shot! The fourth goal came after we tried our substitutions but we had lost our shape a bit and Plymouth were playing with much more confidence at this stage.
I think there were a number of positives to take out of today’s match; the performance of the two young starters, Leigh and Coyle. I also thought that Rogers return was very encouraging as he was pretty solid and good going forward too. It was encouraging to see a good home turn out of support of around 2,400.
We go again next Saturday at home to another big club in Sheffield Wednesday but I do believe that this is a match that we can win!
ON STANLEY ON!
KEEP THE FAITH!

Last edited by choirboy; 13-11-2021 at 20:25.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote