View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 22:07   #22
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: TRUE CONFESSIONS ,,(and nothing but the truth).......

It was many years ago that I used to work with a young man who was a lay preacher. It was just after the days of National Service and such were his beliefs that he, as a conscientious objector, had done his service in the local hospital, doing the most menial jobs. He would never buy a raffle ticket for a good cause because he disapproved of gambling, though he would always make a donation. Above all, he would not touch alcohol. He had signed "The Pledge".

One Friday we had an office trip to Blackpool. We hired a coach and had the afternoon on the Golden Mile, followed by an evening in the Tower ballroom then through the illuminations before heading back home.

We all congregated at the bar in the tower and someone, I swear it wasn't me, persuaded him to have a cider and assured him it was non-alcoholic (it was and it was strong stuff). He tried one and he loved it. I was guilty of persuading him to have another, and another, and - well, I think he had 6 all together. When he made a show of himself on the dance floor I thought it was hilarious. When he was sick in the coach park I told him it was the fish and chips he'd eaten earlier. When he fell into a deep, snoring sleep on the coach I laughed as much as anyone.

On the following Monday he came to work and thanked everyone for a fantastic night out and said it just showed you could have a good time without getting drunk.

I have felt guilty ever since.