View Single Post
Old 25-09-2022, 00:45   #1
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Past my sell by date

I’m getting left behind….

Used to think I was au fait with technology…

I knew the Ceefax pages that were relevant, could program the VHS to record while I was away and make tape to tape copies for my mates on my Amstrad tower system….I had an Atari 2600 and played Space Invaders and Asteroids, moved on to a Spectrum, C64, Amiga and then a PC…

I used mIRC, AOL and Lancs forum via Demon Internet dial up using a splitter plug in the phone socket…which was free on Xmas day but telephone charges applied for the other 364/5 days (and you couldn’t use the phone while online)..

A few years ago I just about managed to set up my Smart TV. Then I got Sky Q with its voice activation and 18 months later I’m still struggling with the bloody remote.

Now here’s the problem…my TV is now pretty much past its sell by date and I’m checking Amazon for good deals and there are shedloads of TV’s to choose from all with pros and cons using meaningless terms to me like qled, oled and hdr10.

So I go down the rabbit hole of innumerable associated youtube reviews and setup guides which invariably have some smartarse using his smartphone to set it up in minutes, dammit it takes me longer to add a new contact.

Anyhoo, I’m still undecided after on and off surfing for a couple of days…

Sometimes I just long for the days of the Relay Vison guy just bringing a new model, connecting the aerial, plugging it in and tuning to the test card..et voila