Thread: Allotment.
View Single Post
Old 29-09-2022, 09:38   #53
taddy

Re: Allotment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
No, no, no, a simple home made press, big tub & some canister, bit of yeast & away you go! Home made Scrumpy!
Dave, your comment took me back to the 1980s when our lad was in the Junior leaders' regiment Royal Armoured Corps. Hazel and I went to his passing out parade at 1 RTRs base at Bovington in Dorset. in the evening I called into a local pub where I noticed that they sold scrumpy.
"Good evening, sir" the landlord cheerily asked, "What can I get you", to which I replied I am normally a real ale bitter drinker but I have always had a hankering to taste a pint of scrumpy, no problem sir he said as he pulled me a pint, I enjoyed it so much that after 15/20 minutes or so my glass was empty and I asked for another pint.
"If you have never tried scrumpy before sir, I would be a little bit careful" the landlord said to which I replied, Oh don't worry about me I have been suppin real ale since I was a teenager, "that's ok he answered.
After finishing my second pint I was in need of the loo but when I attempted to leave the bar stool my legs would not do what my brain was telling them although I could think and speak as normal, "Aye that be the scrumpy sir the landlord offered.
Lesson learned, always respect the local's advice when in a strange land.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote