Thread: Take Aways
View Single Post
Old 17-10-2022, 15:26   #1
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Take Aways

I grew up in a time when the only 'take aways' were provided by the good old Fish And Chip Shops, not fish 'n' chips, the proprietors would actually go to the expense of having AND painted on their signs.
Those of us that were adventurous could have dabs with our chips (sliced potato fried in batter) or really splash out and get a steak pudding.

Back then there would be a pub on one corner of your street a local grocers on another, the chippie and if you were really lucky a genuine bakers that would fill the air with the smell of oven baked, fresh bread.

However sometimes we would find ourselves several streets from home and use the chippie that was nearest, whatever you bought would be wrapped in a layer of greaseproof paper (preventing the batter being ripped off your fish when you got home) a layer of white paper and finally a layer of newspaper all to make sure your food was piping hot when you got it home.

Nowadays (and I suspect we can blame the Chinese for introducing more choice), we can have meals that come from the four corners of the Earth but, whether you pick it up yourself or have it delivered by the time you transfer from polystyrene container to plate whatever you ordered will be cold.

I think it's probably the fault of 'Where there's a blame there's a claim' mentality because the vendors are frightened that we no longer know how to blow on our food to cool it down so they don't heat it too much anyway.

An example of which I picked up from Mcd's a cheese burger, so cold the cheese hadn't melted and fries (I will not call these pathetic little congealed lumps chips) that need to be microwaved back to an edible condition unfortunately when you do that they go soggy.

I miss the good old days when a take away could mean singed lips or a burnt tongue, eating wasn't variety back then but it was a nutritious and belly filling adventure.

Last edited by Less; 17-10-2022 at 15:31.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web