Thread: Eggs with that?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 16:50   #19
taddy

Re: Eggs with that?

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1269842]Yes, I helped making these rugs too….the scraps of cloth was graded according to thickness.
My grandma used the thickest stuff around the edge(old coats were good for this….and sometimes a square in the middle.
As to getting money from the raglan, I only remember her getting donkey stones for the stone steps and the backyard flags.

Nothing was wasted, string was not cut if it could be untied.
All brown paper and bags were saved. Jam jars were saved to put barley and dry herbs into…buttons were cut off clothes and went into a big biscuit tin.
This was something I used to play with as a child.
This was recycling before it was thought of as being a planet saving thing

What a cracking post, takes me back to the fifties, something that today's youngsters would scoff at but would probably say whoa/ hang on a minute, I can't even afford a packet of fags and it's all down to a none labour Government who will not allow me to smoke because why should I get off my A---e and earn a bob or two, when I can stay in bed and let the older people, yes (us), carry on paying our way, as we have done all our lives. after that rant I shall open another bottle of Hobgoblin which I have earned and paid for without needing any government handouts. Phew, I feel better already.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote