View Single Post
Old 29-08-2023, 10:43   #3
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Voice network shutdown via copper line

I received notification from BT that the analogue landlines are being shut down in favour of Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP for short) services.
Currently if you have a landline and there is a power cut your landline still works.
The VOIP relies on a Broadband connection so if there is a power cut, then the phone will not work.

Good old BT says that this will be alright because these days most people have mobile phones...but they forget that some of their customers do not have mobiles which is why they hold onto their land lines.

Those who do have mobiles are told to keep them charged up at all times because as I said a power cut will mean no phone unless your mobile is charged

There are places in the country where a mobile phone signal is abysmal...or worse...non existent.
So BT has said these customers MAY be provided with a battery back up system to cover any urgencies or emergencies.

I am led to believe that current digital phones will work on this new system but need to be close to the router...if it isn't then an adapter will be required...and these can be obtained from BT.

There is no option to opt out of this move, but you can do a broadband only offer but it save just a pitiful amount because landlines and broadband are sold together as a package.
So I am afraid that it is Hobson's Choice.

When the change over happens users will be notified and you keep your existing number.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote