View Single Post
Old 28-10-2023, 09:38   #3
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Before all we Baby Boomers Shuffle Off

Accrington used to be a vibrant town. It had a great market and people would come from neighbouring towns to buy what was sold. It was a place of bustle.Saturday afternnon in town showed the shops to be busy.
Woolworths across from the Market hall...you could buy anything in there and the upper floor had a toy stall that used to have local children spending their sixpence spending money.
That is if you were lucky enough to get spending money.
Ladies would buy their cosmetics and perfumes there....Evening in Paris in a little midnight blue bottle with a pointy silver top. Californian Poppy in a yellow box with red poppies all over it....Phul-Nana...this was an exotic scent and they also sold mouth fresheners of the same scent.

Veever in Peel Street...the smell of ground coffee seemed to waft out of the door...though I did not know anyone who used ground coffee...anyone that I knew drank Nescafe and it was sold in tiny two ounce tins.

Wardleworths in Little Blackburn Rd....if you were lucky enough to win a school prize then this is where you would browse the books to buy with your book token.
I loved that shop and often went in when I had nothing to spend...just to look and hold the new books. I loved the smell of them.

I could go on and on....about how ladies dressed up with their best dress in summer and their best coat and a hat in winter...but this would become like a blog of mine....and there might be others who want to contribute(but why am I doubtful about that?)

Alas now all gone.
Pretty soon there will be no shops in Accrington....it has become a bit like this forum..lost and a bit lonely.
I am really glad to have lived in the era where it was bright and bustling

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 28-10-2023 at 09:41.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote