Thread: Family research
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2024, 14:09   #21
Judith Addison

Re: Family research

I know this thread is very old but I’ve only just seen it. My Great-uncle, John Addison, and his family used to live at Biggins Farm. Later, one of his sons, Henry, who was a first cousin to my Dad (also John Addison) took it on. I’m not sure when John Addison moved into the farm but he had a big family, mostly sons. He and my Grandad, James Addison, were brothers. They were brought up as children in Clayton-le-Moors, near Accrington. They lost their Dad (another John Addison) when they were young children - he was killed in a mining disaster, aged 32. One of Great-uncle John’s sons, Varlow Addison, was killed in the First World War, at the Battle of Loos. I think it was around that time that the family moved from Richmond Hill Street in Accrington up to the Farm.

When I was physically fit many years ago I used to lead walks for the Hyndburn Group of the Ramblers’ Association and sometimes used to walk round that area. When you walk past the cottages on Moorgate you come fairly quickly to the former Colliers’ Arms (20/22?) and then to Biggins Farm. There’s a network of Public Rights of Way in that area.

Henry Addison and his wife moved back into the urban core of Accrington in later life. I never met them but I remember my Dad visiting them occasionally on Exchange Street. I think the farm later belonged to his son, also Henry Addison, but he moved to another part of the country.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote