View Single Post
Old 28-03-2005, 21:36   #111
Gayle
God Member

Re: On Behalf of Gayle Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Welcome to the board Gayle. Thanks for joining us and thanks also for the detailed rundown of the situation to date.

I really have to take issue over the comparison of this project with The Angel of the North. the two things are completley diffferent, in scale if nothing else, but also different in cost (£800,000), and completley different in impact and visibility.

Yes, I agree that the angel has worked wonders for Gateshead. But I do not agree that the current proposal will produce similar results for Hyndburn. How does Mr Beard answer the charge that his work is a pale pastiche of the work of Charles Jenkcs, and as such will probably have the opposite effect to that which is intended?

Again we must look at it in the wider context of all six Panopticons. I agree that the scale is different but what we're producing for East Lancashire is an ambitious project to put six sculptures in place. East Lancashire Partnership are working very hard to promote East Lancashire, and we are bang smack in the middle.

We will have to agree to disagree on this because I think it will produce similar results for Hyndburn and EAst Lancashire.

I can not answer for Peter Beard on this question.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote