Thread: Wot not How.
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2005, 15:24   #36
Doug
Member.

Re: Wot not How.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The opposite side of the coin is when it comes to people like my daughter who are dyslexic. She finds it almost impossible to spell some things correctly without help and she doesn't even make the same mistake in the same word the next time she uses it. Pre-typing posts in "Word" does help but it doesn't always solve the problem as the suggested corrections are not always the word she originally intended. I remember a classic "spell-check correction" in a letter I typed once when I worked in a bank. I'd written to a customer accidentally asking her to call in to review her hovercraft. Mimi will often ask me how the simplest of things should be written because her brain simply refuses to tell her.
I have to agree with you willow regarding the problems that are most likely building up for the coming generations. Texts speak, cultural mergence of phrases and words, computer games! Let alone signs in our shop windows.

My biggest aid to self help willow to my problems was the central library. I learnt how to recognise words by their meaning and character and often see a word I want to spell as a word on a page. It’s very difficult for the young ones today I feel. There is much more understanding amongst adults but to little time given in our schools to those that or just as bright, if not brighter than those at the top end. And as ever I think kids today are less forgiving of their peers who have difficulties.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote