Thread: Wot not How.
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2005, 16:27   #52
pendy
Resting in peace

Re: Wot not How.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
YES! My daughter finds it much more difficult to deal with. She is left handed too by the way so can you explain to me too please?
Dyslexia is far more common among left-handed people. It is thought that one of the reasons for this is that the speech control centres, which allow us to formulate and understand speech, are on the left side of the brain - Broca's Area and Wernicke's Area. Right handed people are left brain dominant, left handed people are right brain dominant (there are two hemispheres in the brain, separated by the central sulcus). Thus for right-handed people the speech areas are in the dominant hemisphere of the brain, whereas for left-handed people they are in a sense less accessible. Reading and writing are very closely linked to the speech facility - hence the classic cases of left handed children being made to write with the right hand and stammering/stuttering as a result.

My son is left handed. I did notice when he started to write that he held his hand in what seemed to me an awkward position. However, when I thought about it, I realised that for right handed people, our hand follows the writing so we can see what we have written. For left handed people, what they have just written is covered by their hand writing the next bit!

Hope the explanation helps!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote