Thread: Sarah's Law
View Single Post
Old 26-04-2005, 06:28   #12
-pixie

Re: Sarah's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I refer to a previous answer l gave in another similar thread.

When The News of the World, which back Sarah's law, printed photographs of convicted child abusers on it's front cover for two succesive weeks it resulted in mayhem. Riots on estates in Portsmouth, because the details printed resulted in an innocent person being wrongly mis-identified. Paediatricians [how ironic,] were also targeted with letter bombs?

l feel as strongly as the rest of you about the protection of children. l have a neice and nephew l would die for. l just don't know if this is the answer. After all these pervs are clever and many would just go underground. At least with the present sex offenders list the police know where these bastards live.
I agree that widespread knowledge of names and location will result in vigilante action. Theres always some numbnut who won't check names and details and that results in innocent people getting hurt.
However I do think that the police need to think more carefully when "placing" these offenders back into the community. I know of one offender who has been placed on a street that is predominantly full of families and is right next to a local school. Tell me where the sense is in that?