Thread: michael howard
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 17:42   #16
Terry

Re: michael howard

Tealeaf I can understand your concerns, but isn't that always typical of any British government of the day. Here's a story you may not be aware of. During WW2, the government took out of every workers pay something they called "War Bonds" this was to help pay for the war effort. After the war the Government put off and put off paying it back(which is what they had promised to do) My father, who worked on building aircraft) didn't get his untill well after he died in the seventies. I.E my mother received them in 1980 or thereabouts. She received exactly the amount that he had paid. 41 pounds sterling. No interest or anything. The buying power of the sterling during the war was far greater than the buying power of the sterling in 1980. That's how I perceive the British establishment and always will. Good luck to you who still live there. Sorry I know it's not relevant for today or this thread, but it's just one example of many that springs to mind of the old days so I do sort of know where you are coming from
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web