View Single Post
Old 25-05-2005, 21:01   #19
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: A Super Superbug??

Infection control are still as hot as ever at Blackburn Margaret. I am attending a day with them in the next couple of weeks in order to become a liaison type person for the delivery suite. This is a new thing where each ward will have somebody responsible for teaching new employees infection control techniques ie, handwashing. This includes visitors as they never wash their hands and they come in with all manner of illnesses. It is not uncommon for visitors with coughs and colds to visit a relative when she has had a new baby. I know of one woman who brought her child to with her to antenatal clinic when the child had German Measles. Her husband came with her, he could have stayed at home and looked after the kiddie. We had to then find all of our patients Rubella statuses for that day and test those who were in early pregnancy and not yet been tested. Some people are just thoughtless.

I think that visiting should be kept to next of kin only, as there is no doubt that hospital visitors are adding to the infection rates.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote