View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 07:08   #2
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: It's good for you....or is it?

Being trained to use conventional medicines, I am always a little skeptical about alternative therapies. I have had a free session of Reiki just to try it out. I have also had a free session of Reflexology. When you are openly cynical and work in health, people tend to offer you these things for nowt. Apart from being relaxing these therapies did nothing for me.

I do think that there is a psychological aspect to treating illnesses. If someone believes that these therpies help them, then it gives them a sense of wellbeing, but doesn't necessarily cure their illness. Relaxing alternative therapies may also help a person to sleep. Sleep is the state where the body's systems refresh and mend themselves.

The beauty industry is a massive multi-billion pound rip off. Every face cream on the market claims to contain some scientific sounding agent which will get rid of your wrinkles, pump up your skin, get rid of spots, make you look younger etc. hair products are exactly the same. Often endorsed by top supermodels and hollywood actresses on their adverts these companies are worth a fortune.

The baby industry is quickly catching up with the beauty industry. With baby bath products, shampoos, lotions and potions, new mothers are made to feel bad when they don't have them. All a baby needs to clean its skin is good old warm water and nothing else. We have millions of children in this country with mild eczema type conditions. I sincerely believe that it is because of all the crap slapped onto their skin from a very young age.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote