View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 22:59   #12
Graham Jones
I am Banned

Re: Something for HBC to ponder on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy
2 or so Weeks ago Hyndburn Planning Comitee had recived a planning application for a new shopping centre to be built at whitebirk called "The Whitebirk Retail Development" Some of you may have heard about this. Accringtons Chamber of commerce have sucesfully won the battle against the developers to stop the building this new Retail Development. The Commerce said that it would put a serious amount of strain on Accrington town centres economy and that it was not viable as we already have blackburn and burnley for chain stores and that we dont need any more, Accrington has a lot of independant traders still and that it would be very likley that it if it was built they would be forced to close. After carefull consideration i have to applaud the planningcomitee for rejecting the application. But they still have 2 weeks to appeal..........Lets see what happens and pray they dont manage to win!!!! Because if they do we will end up with no town at all!!!!!
Whilst the right decision was reached it was a complete balls up. PB showed little interest and disappeared to pick his daughter up. This had been known about for months. Officers believed members wanted it and produced a report recomending it which will I am sure be used by Peel Holdings in their appeal. Total chaos. The chair declared an interest and shouldn't. The vice chair didn't take the chair in the confusion and this has put a cloud over the legality as another member chaired the meeting.

It was Blackburn w D who won it with a slick lobby and presentation with accurate references to the legilsation and up to date indepth retail surveys of Blackburn. Peel Holdings could not compete despite several suits being attendance.

The chamber of trade made more of an incidental less factual appeal.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 06-06-2005 at 23:08.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote