Thread: Work experience
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2005, 15:16   #16
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Work experience

It actually costs the employer to be able to take on people for work experience. I helped to organise work experience for the maternity unit and believe me, it is not easy. The Education Authority people came to do an inspection. I was quizzed for about an hour and a half on insurance, COSHH Regs, Fire Regs and other health and safety issues. I had to provide a list of jobs which work experience students can and cannot do and also show that we have staff willing and qualified to supervise them. After filling in loads of bumf and having to fill in paperwork for the school/college about the student (which they know nothing about), I have to admit that the whole thing was a total fag. However, now that the system is up and running, most of our work experience candidates seem to enjoy it and their placements run smoothly, but it must be borne in mind that while supervising the work experience candidates, the employee is having to work at a slower pace, therefore gets less work done. You must also bear in mind that there will be some tasks during work experience which you will be dying to have a crack at and be told no....... This is because you are not insured within the company for any resulting injury pertaining to that task.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web