Thread: Live 8
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 21:48   #35
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Live 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Members of the general public dug deep into their pockets to attend the Live 8 concerts and thus contributed CASH to the Africa Fund.
The tickets didn't actually cost anything, apart from the cost of a phone call in some cases. I entered a prize draw on AOL and that cost me absolutely nothng at all.

Of course for those who travelled a long distance to the venue then it cost them something but none of that money went to Africa. This concert wasn't about raising money for Africa. The point seems to have been misunderstood by a lot of people and in fact Sir Bob himself almost lost the plot at one point when he accused those selling tickets on eBay of taking money fom the mouths of the starving. There was no way any sale of tickets on eBay affected Africa one way or the other. Unless you count the fact that the whole kerfuffle probably drew even more attention to the Live 8 concerts in which case it probably aided Sir Bob's cause.

I'd be more impressed if the government decided not to send back Zimbabwean refugees.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote