Thread: bailiffs
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 20:26   #28
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: bailiffs

I used to work with bailiffs, in my job. In my particular sphere the bailiffs didn't have the powers, I did. They were there as advisers and witnesses. I had the power to levy distraint on any goods, whether or not I entered the premises, but I also had the discretion to make arrangements to pay. The purpose of levying was, in effect, to secure the arrangement in most cases. The person concerned knew that if he or she didn't keep to the arrangement the goods had been levied on and could be confiscated. That was far better than just removing goods as they never covered the whole debt.

No, I didn't work for a Council - I'm a Civil Servant. Very often people hadn't paid because they were, genuinely, short of money but instead of contacting us immediately they had ignored demands etc.

Court bailiffs are a different matter. They do have powers and can demand right of entry and remove goods much more readily. This is because the Court has ordered distraint, usually, when a court order has been violated. Court bailiffs don't have any discretion to give time to pay and nor do private bailiff companies.

The moral, if there is one, is never put things off. If you can't pay, ask for time straight away and, if it's granted, stick to the arrangement.