Thread: Poor Gates
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 15:26   #67
Staveros

Re: Poor Gates

The naivety of some of you is astounding.

You just can't seem to get it through that the people you NEED to boost the attendances dont think like you.

Im the same as the other lad, im an Evertonian, I have had a season ticket there for the last 11 years and used to go to most aways as well.

Its only the last few years ive cut back on the aways, hence I started having spare weekend to come to Stanley.

I started coming in the Unibond promotion season, which was awesome, and then continued into the conference. The first season, again, was awesome.

Since then though I have lost interest.

The prices have risen dramatically but more importantly the football hasn't progressed, in fact last season I felt it went backwards.

I came to 4 or 5 games last year and left distinctly unimpressed after all of them. maybe I got unlucky, I dont know??

He is right about the service in the bar as well, its horrendous. I had taken to getting in 10 minutes before half time just to get served but on one occasion the football was so bad I didnt bother coming out for the second half i just watched the tele instead.

The rubbish teles might I add. That was another bone of contention I had in the past, supporters providing teles, eh?? Whats that all about??

I think last time I was in a widescreen had arrived(5 years behind the times) which was at least some improvement.

Seriously though, would THE CLUB getting a couple of 42" Plasmas be a ridiculous suggestion?? You can get a pair for £1500 nowadays, then claim the VAT back of course. Not much more than a grand all in, hardly a bank breaker is it??

Besides, Im sure if you contact some of the local TV stores ie Panasonic or Harry Garlick that they would do a deal, say 500 quid and an advertisement or summet??

Anyway, im going off the main point now.

The main point is that it is what happens ON the pitch that matters.

They may well have been great on Saturday but I didnt see it because I wasn't there. I wasn't there because last season when I came I didn't feel it was value for money.

If I were involved with the club I would have recognised the problem over the summer and acted upon it in a realistic manner.

To me, ticket deals and word of mouth is futile. It wont work. It hasn't worked at Blackburn and it certainly wont work at Stanley.

What was needed in the summer was a big news story, the signing of a big name player. Even if it were a journyman pro, just someone to capture the imagination, to get people down to the game to see what all the fuss is about.

Didn't happen though, in fact quite the opposite. the club sold its two best players.

A more certain recipie for disaster I never have seen.

Thats gone now though, we must look forward. Where are we then??

Well, the way I see it is this...there are two possible solutions.

1. hope and pray that the team plays well over the coming months and can hold a place in the top 4 say approaching Christmas. I think then people will be interested to see whats happening and come back.

2. Sign the 'big name'. Be it a league player having troubles or a journeyman coming to the end, just someone who will make the news and get people down to have a look.

The worst missed opportunity of all time must have been when they let Payton pass. Madness.

I hear they were worried about his attitude yada yada. Say what?? Football is a business now, big business. Not to tell Eric how to suck his eggs but he would have been a cash camel. I was excited at the prospect of getting him and im not even a claret!! The crowds would have increased sizeably IMO.

At the end of the day, is it that important if these signings work out?? The way I see it is you want to raise the gates, they will do that. If it means 'carrying' a player for a little while then my business logic would say 'lets give it a go'.

Once you have people at the ground then you have your chance to 'hook' them. until you get them there your chance is zero. Its a no brainer for me.

Everyone knows that the lower league clubs are struggling money wise, Stanley should be far more stable than some of them. Surely we could tempt some of their players away with a decent offer?? Theres nothing between the conference and the next few leagues up really is there?? Money talks at the end of the day, it would certainly create a buzz.

Like I said previously, im just being realistic.

If none of these things happen nothing will change, I guarantee it, so then you have to ask ,where are we going'?

I jumped on the bandwagon, as did planty of others. Its time to get it rolling again.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote