Thread: Poor Gates
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 16:29   #74
KiTChener

Re: Poor Gates

Whoa!!
What an excellent thread!!

As most of you may know, (especially Garinda, who seems to keep tabs on who is on & off this forum at all times!), I am a regular reader, seldom poster.

How many varied views have been expressed in this post.... I seem to be agreeing with one, then the other, opposing comment. From Staveros, to Smiffy, Kipax (see, I even spelt it right!), to WH, Robaldo, et al!

The main theme, however, is that we are all concerned about the dwindling level of support..... this is now my fourth season, two as an ST holder.... I must admit that, this season, I thought long & hard as to whether I should renew my ticket, as, due to work commitments, I knew I could make no more than 80% of this season's home games. Like, probably, many others, I opted to renew, thinking that , at least, I am helping the revenue of the club....the same reason I buy a programme & draw tickets at each game I attend.

That, however, is not enough for the club..... no matter how many 'diehards' we have, we will not, alone, be able to carry this club forward.... we need additional support!! This is where we should be looking at it from a 'Business' point of view.

What does any business do, when confronted with falling sales???

I'm sure there are many of you on here who are by now shouting out the answers!!

So, why are we not looking for 'new' customers?
Trying to sell additions to our existing customers?
Getting our existing customers to recommend us to a friend?

Pure & simple MARKETING... that, I feel, is what we are lacking.

As someone else (sorry, don't remember who) commented, we should be making the most of the fact that we have just signed an international player, no matter how remote the country!! We should have had a lot more press coverage on the fact that we sold an extremely talented left-winger (one of a dying breed!) to a League club (albeit for an 'undisclosed' fee!)
And what about the other International we signed from a league club, got him fit throughout a season, then sold him on, presumably at a profit, (again 'undisclosed') to another league club? If we don't make money on this 'bit of business', we should, at least, be attracting considerable publicity!

The football is good, despite defensive lapses, the entertainment value, to my mind, is excellent, although the skills displayed may not be.... however, why do we watch at this level, rather than travel a few miles down the road, in either direction?

COMMITMENT!!!

We get it from the players (well, most of the time!) Can we now expect that 'The Management' will commit to marketing this club, with all it's history & tradition, in the way that is so deserved??

C'mon, Eric, I knew you when you were in 'ceramics' at English Electric.... You've done brilliantly for yourself, & for this club in the intervening years......

don't let it all fail now!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote