View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 19:08   #3
Acrylic-bob
God Member

Re: Gramactical English

Textspeak, the substitution of onomatopoeic letters and numbers for actual words, is fine in mobile text messages, I have no problem with it there. Moreover it is usually employed between people who have a mutual understanding of the abbreviations used, so the sense of the message is easily conveyed and understood.

When textspeak is used on a forum like this, where the readership is spread across many countries and the age range of members varies from children to senior citizens, it can cause considerable difficulties and many readers just skip on to the next message without bothering to read the one written in textspeak. Everybody's contribution to the forum is equally as valuable and I would hate to think that people are posting valid comments and observations that are going unread.

Since the messages we post here are read around the world, surely it makes sense to make sure that they are as clear as we can make them.

I appreciate that not all members are as fluent in the written language as they might wish to be, that is an unfortunate but inescapable fact of life, but I believe that it is also one of the great strengths of this forum that even those members who have only a passing acquaintance with written English are nevertheless given a fair and equal hearing.

I think that where errors of grammar or spelling are pointed out, it is done more from a wish to be helpful rather than as a means of points scoring or a wish to put people down.

It may not seem like it at times, when discussion and debate get heated but, generally speaking, everyone is on your side.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-09-2005 at 19:10.