View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 18:48   #4
entwisi
God Member

Re: Laser Eye Treatment

There are two main procedures. EPI LASEK and LASIK. The former involves the laser reshaping the ouside of your cornea to correct your vision. This is the cheapest (~£5-600/eye) but has the longest recovery time ~1 week and most discomfort. The LASIK procedure involves a machine cutting a thin slice from the front of the cornea. This flap is lifted and the laser burns the exposed surface. The flap is then repositioned. This has a very quick recovery time and the least discomfort. the procedure takes 15 minutes all in to do both eyes, the laser burning for approx 30-40 seconds only. There is no pain involved but is a 'bit weird'. You go home and go to bed. Wake up 2-3 hours later and you will be able to see. It gets better over the next 3-12 months but you will normally have good enough vision to drive the day after. LASIK costs ~£850 an eye. I have some vouchers for ~£500 off if you have both eyes done.

I would recommend it quite happily. Mine was done ~12 months ago and my vision is now 6-4 or 120% of 20/20.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote