View Single Post
Old 21-09-2005, 00:43   #11
Staveros

Re: Get in theeere!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red
TBH Jimbo, I disagree with Staveros and think we were as poor as we have been all season tonight.

We had 10 minutes at the start of each half when we passed the ball around really well and carved open their defence time and again. In those periods, we were awesome. We really struggled for the rest of the game and it was largely a result of their woeful defence that we created chances. A lot of the time it was a long, desparate punt from defence and we only looked effective in the first half when Roberts got the ball, apart the first ten minutes. When Boco and Mangan came on they created chances in the second half as well as Roberts and we could have easily scored six or seven without playing well. They were so poor at the back.

But apart from that, you would never have guessed which team had a 3-1 lead and a one-man advantage for the last half-hour! We sat back and rested on our laurels and almost paid for it. They scored a flukey goal to make it 3-2 and it took a superb save from Randolph to deny them an equaliser in the last ten minutes.

Jaggers, Mullin, Brown and Roberts played very well in my opinion and Richardson did a very job at left-back until injured in the second half. Beyond that, it was poor. They completely overran our central midfield of Barry and Craney for most of the game and especially during the first half and that caused a sorts of problems for Rocky and Flynn. I don't know whether Cav thought that he had to act as a third central defender to plug the holes or not, but he was giving their left-winger at least 20 yards of space every time. It allow them time to get their ball to him, for him to control it and then run at Cav before being put under pressure. They really should have scored three or four times in the first half.

Rocky did make a brilliant tackle in the second half and showed some trickery before hoofing it up the field, but otherwise it was Rocky as usual. But I will say that the lack of a front line in front of him and Flynn made their jobs extremely difficult tonight.

It's great when you can still pick up three points when we don't play well and for that we have the Shots to thank. It was a very long way from Saturday's performance. I'm certain we'll be back to a five-man midfield away on Saturday!
They weren't great but they got the result and thats what matters.

It was odd though because I stand by my player evaluations. There were a lot of good individuals just wasnt that cohesion overall.

They werent a bad side IMO and that goal from sills was a diffrent gravy.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote