View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40   #108
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: More Government Meddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
GP's should be able to prescribe exercise for people who have problems losing weight......
I have a feeling there is something like this already - called "Fitness for Life" - I'm not sure if there is a charge for it but then again there's a charge for prescriptions and I think it works in the same way for people who don't pay prescription charges. I think it's a great idea and perhaps more people need to be made aware of it. Unfortunately for people who have physical problems excercise isn't always a viable option.

Quote:
I would like to see local communities develop walking clubs...... so that people could walk in groups, this would be especially useful as the nights are drawing in now. I would go for a walk after tea most nights but I feel a bit vulnerable on my own.....even on streets that are well lit.
Ah well now here I can add a bit of info because in Hyndburn we have got them! They are known as "Stepping Out" and they are led by a walk leader. I don't think there are any after tea ones. The ones I know about take place in the mornings. People gather at a specific starting off point at 10am (I think - I'll check up on that) and off they go. The walks are repeated obviously because there aren't that many different places to go but there is a bit of variety and sometimes they are done in the opposite direction.

This was one of the subjects which was featured at Accy Town Hall last Thursday but unfortunately as was pointed out in that thread there really wasn't enough publicity to let the general public know what was going on. It was a bit like preaching to the converted because those of us who were there already knew about the different things.

So it looks like part of the problem is that people are just not aware of what is going on out there.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote