View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:19   #21
Romps
Clearly Classy.......

Re: Health delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
Don't talk to me about hospitals..............

I know that they do a good job usually............. BUT!! today I had a training course about prevention of pressure sores.

Touch wood, our patients very, very rarely break down with pressure sores as we have good knowledge and understanding about how they occur, how to prevent them and how to deal with them if they occur.

The one question I asked the trainer at the end is, If we are taught this then why do so many of our patients go into hospital pressure sore free, and almost always return back to us riddled with them.

Well the response to this is, that apparently in hospitals the staff are under the impression that, if they are on a Air mattress, then these people don't need to be re-positioned through out their stay in hospital.

My response was " um mm well obviously, if their skin is breaking down then, duh yes they do".

Apparently nursing staff in hospitals are not trained on pressure sore care and preventatives. Now in my opinion, someone breaks down with a pressure sore, someone somewhere isn't doing their job properly..................does this not equal NEGLECT??..........mmmmm yes. So simple. Train the staff in pressure sore management, and keep patient comfortable.

Rindy maybe they could use the money they spent on sending trash through the door to you, on training!!!!!!!!!!
practice and preach spring to mind there Slinks!!!

Totally disgusting that Nursing staff are not trained in pressure care/relief. I think if training is done at source it tends to filter down. I think people who trained a few years ago are pressure area aware (remember the backs trolley ), but from my experience nurse training today is less 'hands-on' and more management based. Which really isn't (in my opinion) a good reason to choose nursing as a career, I am all for management and promotion but in nursing 'hands-on' should be the the main reason for wanting to nurse.

My Gallery My Albums

Last edited by Romps; 12-10-2005 at 12:29.
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote