View Single Post
Old 28-11-2005, 23:18   #29
Doug
Member.

Re: A drop of Snow....

I don’t think that any discussion about the risks of fell and mountain walking can be complete without a mention of one of the most dangerous situations you can face on the hills. An attack of a high altitude fell rat; these terribly aggressive beasts cleverly disguised as sheep will attack without warning when confronted with an exposed goodie bag of sandwiches or anything else known to be edible.

These beasts can carry off an unsuspecting fat bloke for over a mile in any direction; this usually results from a confrontation over the contents of you lunch box and ends in a full frontal charge by the beast, you the victim with legs akimbo are propelled backwards without any other option but to hold on for grim death and pray that the bloody thing doesn’t have any homicidal lemming like tendencies.

In situations where the hapless walker as no option to overnight on the fells these beast have been known to drive the bravest men white with fear, they creep silently up on you and bang!, there on you, rummaging in every orifice and exposure that can be exploited. These aren’t mythical beasts, no; I’ve known them to eat…..Meat! Chicken, ham, even lamb although I must admit unwittingly on their part. Have you never wondered why some people go out there and are never seen again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00512.JPG (149.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00524.JPG (135.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00149.JPG (146.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02847.JPG (60.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Sheep.JPG (151.4 KB, 5 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote