View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 14:20   #11
Busman747
Always EVIL within us

Re: New Year's Honours List

The late and great John Lennon made national news and shocked the general public in 1969 when he sent his chauffeur to Buck palace to return his MBE along with a note that read:,
"]"Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against COLD TURKEY slipping down the charts. With Love, John Lennon.""

He was by no means the first to reject or return an "honour" from the monarchy but it is the one we all remember and history is proving that he was so right to do so.

In the past couple of decades, the list has become a joke, perhaps they should reschedule the awards for April 1st instead of the New Year?

As for this years list, I struggle to find ANYONE who is truly worthy with the possible exception of a handful of people that assisted in helping the injured in the 7/7 attacks - and even then it wasn't necessarily an act of heroism. What about the bus driver in the Kensington bombing that continued to drive buses after his recovery? his story was inspirational and sent out a message loud and clear to the many fanatics. Instead, they awarded Peter Hendy, Managing Director of "SurfaceTransport" an O.B.E. for "inspirational leadership" - - and Major Muriel McClenahan of the Salvation Army for her role in "co-ordinating support"

Andrew Flintoff received the"BBC Sports Personality of the Year" award earlier in the year but the papers were filled with pictures of him absolutely blotto and a ciggie hanging out of his mouth after England won the ashes. A sportsman? Not as far as I am concerned - - and why should David Graveney get an award for being the "Chairman of Selectors" ?????? Ooh, nearly forgot Medha Laud who organized the tour itinaries and accomodation for our cricket team - - -

There used to be a time when a "sir" or a person with letters after their name commanded respect from us commoners but that is no longer the case. The monarchy and the system have debased what used to be something to be proud of. I am surprised in retrospect that John Lennon took 4 years to return his gong - but he's still our "working class hero"