Thread: Sex headlines.
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2006, 08:39   #36
Gayle
God Member

Re: Sex headlines.

Before I start, I'm not defending this headline or this article in any way, shape or form but I do just want to add -

One of the reasons that people go to the papers is desperation with a situation. If they have repeatedly spoken to the authorities about an issue and there has been no resolution to it. It almost guarantees action from the Council because the last thing that any one from the Council wants is to be portrayed in the press in a bad light. I know we all say that today's newspaper is tomorrow's chip paper but papers are archived, history is written and no one likes to be consigned to history in a bad way.

Papers will only print a big story if they can find an 'angle' - a few local residents getting a bit cheesed off at the Council for not putting a gate up wouldn't be enough of a story - they need to hang it on something.

I can only assume in this instance that the locals were desperate for the fly tipping situation to be resolved but had already tried that tack so had to try other tactics.

Like I said, I'm on the fence about this story because I don't know the exact details or the history.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote