Thread: Identity Cards
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2006, 02:18   #25
entwisi
God Member

Re: Identity Cards

I agree whole heartedly Margaret, Having seen what a unholy mess the Goverment made of the Passport computer system (billions over budget, years late and not to teh original design) or teh mess they are making of the NHS system(seperate areas writing their own systems that are incompatible with each other, again massively over budget). I wouldn't trust them to get it anywhere near secure or workable.

With regards to which is replicable, biometric information is just a series of 1's and 0's, If you can read it from one card you can write it to another. Even encryption is not going to stop you. Todays PCs are powerful enough to break ciphers that the Cold war used in hours, Stick together a beowolf cluster and even 256 bit encryption is within days(to give you an idea, Internet banking uses 128 bit and each extra bit doubles the previous number of possible cominations)

Then it comes down to as Margaret says, If you are happy to blow yourself and countless others up, are you really going to be bothered to carry an ID card?

It isn't some holy grail of a nice secure country, its an expensive cash cow. Unfortunately, though it looks like one we will be paying for for years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4707608.stm

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 14-02-2006 at 02:21.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote