Thread: Today's matches
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 17:44   #127
Dan
Senior Member+

Re: Today's matches

Now anyone who knows me will understand that this is somewhat out of character (posting on here in order to get involved in an argument - my name isn't Cottier!!!!) but I am taking exception to 1 of the points made above. Just 1 mind you.

About Coley's conduct. We all know what he's like!!! He's passionate and involved in the game 110%. Sometimes he will admit he goes too far. But I would like to draw people's attention to what happened at the full time whistle.

Firstly, the stadium announcer saying "enjoy your trip back to Merseyside" and having a good laugh. Not what anyone who's travelled from ACCY needs to hear. Then, during the post-match press conference, Coley was being heckled and frankly abused by a small group of Hereford fans. He handled it fairly graciously, but then had to listen to a member of the Hereford press accuse Stanley's players of trying to start fights with Hereford supporters! When they were warming down. On the pitch!!!!!!!!!!

Until the 80th minute or so I was pleased to be at Edgar St. But for the remaining 10 and post-match period I actually felt physically threatened both whilst commentating out the match and waiting for interviews. And it isn't like I'm an elderly, easily-frightened sort of fellow...

By no means am I casting any aspersions on Hereford supporters in general. I simply wish to make the point that this "taunting" issue is a two way street, and that a small minority of Bulls fans were as guilty as any of those who had travelled from Accrington, player, staff or supporter.

Perhaps the magnitude of the occasion and disappointment at dropping points affected my reaction, but I am certain that no away manager would tolerate the abuse that Coley and his players got if they received it at the Interlink.

Sorry to ramble, I will now shut up...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote