View Single Post
Old 22-03-2006, 12:55   #65
Tealeaf
God Member

Re: Democracy or Dictatorship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope
Hi

As a number of posters said that not many people defend the Government I thought I'd have a go - especially as someone said I was too scared to!

The Legislative & Regulatory Reform Bill is intended to reduce burdensome regulations. We are not intending to abolish Magna Carta, habeus corpus, or usher in a dictatorship. In any event, this Bill is only part way through its parliamentary progress. I'm sure it will be improved by amendments from both the Government and the opposition.

Greg
I agree. However, the main problem is that very little legislation that is increasingly applied originates in the Palace of Westminster; most of it comes from our chums in Brussels, in the form of the ominous sounding"Directive".

Still, I suppose with our rump parliament there is still a bit of work to be done. I have recently heard that it is possible for unelected individuals to influence the course of a bill through its parliamentary progress by sending off some dosh. Apparently, you eventually get it back (with interest) but you also get a nice red cloak, a bauble and a seat in the House of Lords, plus a few hundred quid a day in expenses just for turning up. You don't even have to do 'owt; just stay in the bar all day, if you want.

I do believe that the title of "Earl of Accrington" is available. Can you advise me how much this will cost, and whether I should send the cheque to Tony, Cherie or Gordon? I can't wait to meet up with you for a pint in Annie's bar (Although I don't expect her real ales to be anywhere near as good as Staggers's)

Cheers

T
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote