View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 12:09   #1
talentedbutslow

Ok.......nostalgia Time

When I was a kid...I used to love going to the pictures.I used to go at least 3 times a week...Now in those days, Accy was well served with picture theatres....there was the Empire and the Princes next door to each other in Edgar st...the Princes was the one where I usually ended up behind a pole....grrrrrrrrr,cos I couldn,t afford to sit upstairs....then there was the Odeon.....where I recall queueing for 2 hrs to get in to see a performance of The Inn of the Sixth Happiness and ended up in the very front row craning my neck to see the film...my favourite was the Palace in Abbey street....but who can recall the picture theatre across the road lovingly referred to by the youngsters as....the bughut....seem to remember it had a double barelled name..can still remember the guy with the long pole going up the sides of the auditorium closing the shutters before the performance......in those days you were wise to pay extra and sit upstairs......threepence for downstairs.....sixpence for upstairs....cos the youngsters had the disgusting habit of spitting on the cattle below..
It was also interesting to note that this theatre frowned on ice creams at interval and had trays full of penny arrows and black sambos......oh happy days

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web