Thread: Grand National
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 16:20   #43
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Red face Re: Grand National

According to the Oxford English Dictionary sport as a noun means - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

The mention of animal is noticeable by its absence.

I don’t think that you can class donkey rides at the seaside as a sport SPUGGIE J. There is no competition involved.

However in gymkhanas and show jumping there is competition so it is a sport. The fact that it is kids taking part doesn’t change that.

I wondered when someone would get round to sheep dog trials garinda. Much obliged to you for doing so. I take the view that as the dog is demonstrating what it does together with its master as part of their daily working life then it is hardly a sport.

I will save someone the bother of bringing up hunting dogs by doing it myself. Hunting with dogs to put meat on the table is cruel and archaic and in this day and age in this country totally unnecessary but nonetheless not a sport. Any other reason for hunting with dogs can be classed as a sport but it is still cruel.