View Single Post
Old 18-04-2006, 17:24   #14
T.C.

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolef
hi tc, you sound a happy fellow today, i was reading your thread and it made me think of my dad who died 30 years ago. he was adopted and by the time he was 17 both his adopted parents had died, so he left home and joined the merchant navy for a few years. when world war was immenent he was conscripted into the royal navy were he served 12 years too.I used to love his tales and he always said that that life you had shaped the person you became he would have been 92 now, they had me late in life but i can still remember all the navy stuff and all his travels across and around the globe and like you he loved the life of the navy. I'm researching the ships he was on at the moment and its so interesting he was a chief stoker. what was you role tc i would love to know i find it all very interesting. once again have a happy birthday
Hi Carol'
Thanks for the birthday greetings. I was an aircraft electrician, having served on HMS Ark Royal, and HMS Albion. I represented the Royal Navy at rugby union whilst touring the far east on HMS Albion, having played in Hong Kong, Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia. I left the Albion in Singapore in April 1959,and was flown home to a new posting at RNAS Abbotsinch, which is now Glasgow Airport. Whilst there, I represented the Royal Navy in Scotland and Combined Services in Scotlandat also rugby union. In January 1962 I broke my leg against Edinburgh University which ended my days as a Representative Player, but I played much club rugby after that. I actually joined the navy on May 1st 1951 at Albert Square in Manchester, and was discharged from HMS Victory on May 1st 1963. I had the most wonderful time, and many stories to tell. I am still in touch with an old shipmate in Australia who I served with in Londonderry in 1953, and we still find things to reminisce about.I hope passing on a little bit of my service life has given you some pleasure.Best wishes and regards,.............T.C.
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote