View Single Post
Old 19-04-2006, 18:28   #11
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Snitching On Your Neighbours

I don’t waste anything that I have to pay for Madhatter but I’m damned if I would take kindly to any sort of a water ban to preserve what we have when billions of gallons get wasted from leaks. We are being asked not to waste water by the prime waster. There just ain’t no justice! For me any ban is totally unreasonable whilst 25% of the water is wasted through leaks.

The water companies all cry poverty and want to increase prices beyond reason when it comes to spending on new pipes etc yet they can still pay out handsome dividends to the share holders. The chancellor has his sticky fingers in the pie as well.

We, the general public, are being taken for mugs again and we sit back and let it happen!

If the water companies spent ALL THEIR PROFITS for a couple of years on replacing old pipes and repairing leaks the problem would solve itself.

Don’t worry about London being without water. If the global warming forecast is anywhere near accurate London will have more water than it could handle in the not too distant future. It would be sea water of course.

It’s “I Have A Dream” Busman747 but I take your point although I doubt if the water companies are deliberately emptying reservoirs to try and force an issue. More likely it was leaks in the pipes.

Incidentally gardens do not need watering as much as we think. Plants will search for water when they need it by burying their roots deeper. In fact those people who use a watering can to water bedding plants are just encouraging the roots to come to the surface in search for water. It’s better to pour a pint close to the stem and let the water soak away downwards than just wetting the top half inch of soil, which soon evaporates anyway.