View Single Post
Old 22-05-2006, 12:34   #2
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Weighing in schools

I remember being weighed in school as a kid. This is not a new thing it is something that has come full circle. Along with being weighed we had nitty nora and vaccinations polio, rubella etc... This was all done by the school nurse not the teachers. I think it will be the school nursing service who will do this weighing and if they do, it will be subject to confidentiality issues the same as any other nursing service. Therefore other kids will not know who has had a letter or diet sheet given to them to take home or sent to the home.

Kids take the mick out of other kids. It doesn't matter if they are fat, thin, have specs, spots or ginger hair, a kid will always find something to pick on about another person if they are that way inclined. If a kid is overweight the other kids know it without the use of scales. I don't think it will make any difference in that respect.

A friend of mine had a diet sheet sent home for her overweight daughter. She was offended that they had sent it until I pointed out that she is overweight for her age and height. There are lots of variations between people's bodies both young and old but there is also a large range for normal weight limits. if you are over the normal limit then you are overweight. I think it is a good idea and should make parents more aware of what their children should weigh in order to prevent serious diseases such as diabetes, which has risen amongst children in this country over recent years.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote