Thread: Have your say
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2006, 17:41   #1
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Have your say

You may be aware via the local press that some major changes are afoot in the way that hospital services are provided locally. There are 2 service options to choose from....option A and option B. Option A will see all emergency, high risk and intensive care services moving to Burnley, option B will have those services at Blackburn. The site which does not have the high risk services will continue to provide elective surgery, minor injuries treatment, outpatients etc. This will also hit the maternity services with low risk care at one site and high risk at another. The high risk care for maternity is proposed as being at the hospital with no intensive care unit which does not make any sense.

Imagine this....... you are hit by a car in Blackburn centre whilst shopping and are obviously in a critical condition. Currently, you are scooped up by an ambulance and driven up the road to BRI. In July you will be taken to RBH (Royal Blackburn Hospital now Queens Park), a mere stones throw away from your accident. If the powers that be get their way, you could end up being driven 13 miles away to Burnley or even Preston in order to receive emergency care. The same scenario would apply also to the people of Burnley.

Local people are being invited to have their say about the forthcoming changes. The changes are designed to:-
provide safer services (I don't see how),
offer more choice (nice try, but I'm not buying it),
provide more local services (yes because 13 miles away is really local), quicker treatment times (errrrr......how exactly?)
be more cost effective (that's more like it.........money!!!!)

People are being invited to put forward their comments (I think I have made my opinion quite clear... ) The only way to provide good service and choice locally is to keep services at both sites. Evidently this is an option which they have not thought of.......

I have filled out my form and sent it in, but you can make your views known online by e mailing [email protected]

More info about the services can be found at www.eastlancs.nhs.uk

The resulting changes are probably a forgone conclusion but the service package that I recommend is option B... Keep services at Blackburn with high risk maternity care and ICU on the same site.... The people of Burnley have made their feelings very clear both on the news and in the press. The people of Blackburn, Hyndburn and Ribble Valley have so far been slow to respond...... We have until July..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web