View Single Post
Old 22-06-2006, 17:42   #10
T.C.

Re: Calling all veteran ex servicemen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
On Monday the 19th June, instead of using the form that I had downloaded to send to the Veteran’s Agency by snail mail (Yet another QUANGO but at least this one serves a useful purpose) I opted to give them a ring at Thornton-Cleveleys – an 0800 number so it were FREE. They took down my details like D.O.B, service number (the one that you will remember on your deathbed) address etc and informed me that the lapel badge would be sent within the next 14 days.

Today the package was pushed through my letterbox. Less than 4 days! Wouldn’t it be nice if other government agencies were just half as efficient?

The package contained a booklet with information for veterans, an A4 sized certificate and the lapel badge in a box that has a footprint of half the size of a fag packet and about twice as thick. Pity that they didn’t personalise the certificate with the name of the recipient. But then I can do that for myself. Scan the certificate and add my details, then print it out.

The lapel badge is tiny – 25 mm tall and 20 mm wide at the widest point. If they had made it any smaller they would have had to use nano technology to do so. There is a peculiar indentation near the centre and try as I might I cannot undo the clip to get the badge off the card. Is my badge a factory reject and if it is are they trying to say something by sending it?

I rang the agency to inform them of the defective lapel badge and I was asked to return it and they will send me another one.

But let us be grateful that even at this late stage the government has recognised, albeit in a very small way, ex servicemen’s and women’s contribution to the country as it is today. Without them, and I mean those who did the fighting and dying in WWII and not so much those of us who came after, we would probably all be speaking German.

Sadly Tealeaf the mainbrace hasn’t been spliced (not sliced) since the 31st July 1970 when the very last tot of rum was served to the men of the Royal Navy.
Like you J.B. I phoned the 0800 number, and was informed by a lady receptionist that after leaving my address and phone number that I would be contacted. By Tuesday afternoon ther had been no contact, so I rang the 0800 number again. I was spoken to by a man named John, who seemed surprised at the treatment that I had previously received. He took my particulars, D.O.B. service number etc, and informed me that I would receive my badge in approx. 14 days. Here's hoping I get the same express service as J.B.