View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 21:14   #69
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: The Peel Monument

I totally agree with Lindsay. Why can't the refurbishing and repair of the Peel Monument BE our panopticon. Just look at where it's situated and the view from up there! How more panoptical can you get?

Ages ago I mentioned an idea like this. Clean up the two things we have up there, repair what needs repairing. Make some decent paths, add a bit of modern colour which adds to rather than disctracts from what we already have and improve access for all. Then we'd have an answer to the opening post of this thread AND have our own very Hyndburn and very worthy panopticon into the bargain. Of course there wouldn't be anything in it for the "High Form" artist but having seen examples of his work I don't think that would be a great loss.

You might have a point there about the historical significance of some of that graffitti Kipax.

It does look as if the foundations of the monument require a bit more than a bunch of AccyWeb amateurs could probably manage

Like others I still wish we could resurrect that flippin clock too. It's a crying shame to have something like that gathering dust in the Arndale cellar but it doesn't belong to the town does it? It belongs to the owners of the Arndale doesn't it? So maybe HBC would have to buy it from them and then get it repaired before it could be reassembled somewhere - and we could never come up with an ideal location due to the size of it. Let's face it, the ideal location is where it used to be in the centre of the Arndale.

I remember coming back off holiday a couple of years back and seeing headlines in the paper saying that a local website had saved the clock. They were unfortunately jumping the gun a bit but it was a nice moment of excitement while it lasted.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote