View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:42   #21
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
With the greatest of respect Garinda, I just think you are attempting to justify this ladies ramblings with amateur psychology. It would appear this was an article she wrote specially for the Times, and had plenty of time to 'choose' her words.

I'm sure such a high-profile lady of literature could have selected a better adjective ? (sorry, never grammar my best subject) than 'awful'. Even Doug has sent us a lovely piece of poetry to express the shortfalls of our area.
I am not comparing myself with her, but we are of a similar age. Accrington wasn't probably the warmest of places for a teenage lesbian to grow up in the 60's and 70's, that's without all the evangelical mumbo jumbo that was hoisted upon her by her adopted parents. Like her, growing up I knew I would never be able to live in this part of the world and couldn't wait to escape to the big, anonymous capital. Happily I have a great, loving family and with marurity felt able to move back home.

I did briefly speak to her at a little soiree dahn the east end. We spoke of Lancashire we'd both grown up in and she wasn't negative in what she said to me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote