View Single Post
Old 23-07-2006, 19:27   #20
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: The Post Office Is Dying. Long Live The PO.

Race to the bottom! Now that’s an interesting concept g_jones. I know that you salt-of-the-earth working classes and we useless pensioners were being marginalized but I didn’t realise it was a race to see who would sink first. Race you to the bottom!

I wasn’t aware that you were a pensioner katex. You know the one thing that I never do is look at the member’s personal profiles. I take members at face value and learn about them as I go along. Maybe I should start to dig deeper?

However to get back to the point. The older you get the more difficult it is to go with the flow and we pensioners don’t like changes too much. I’m one of the lucky ones in that I still have both my brains cells in working order (the memory is a bit iffy at times though) and I can fight my corner but I am the exception rather than the rule although that will change as the years go by. I’m also a financial wizard in that I manage my finances to my requirements. Nah! That’s not being a wizard more like doing something that I have done successfully all my life – living within my means.

Sharp teeth eh! You should have seen my left hook before I decided that boxing wasn’t my scene. Seriously though I will fight my corner, against the odds if necessary.

I know loads of middle aged people to whom a computer and the Internet is a complete mystery and I also know of many pensioners with a similar disposition.

Collecting your pension at the Post Office has another asset. For many pensioners, particularly those who have lost their spouse, going to the Post Office is just one of two occasions when they leave their home and see other people. The other being when they go for the weekly shopping. To some it is a welcome change where for just a few minutes they don’t feel quite so isolated. The same could be said for young mums whose feller is at work or they haven’t got a live in feller.

I’m not saying that having a pension paid into a bank is wrong or bad – you still have to attend some place or other to get hold of real spendable cash. What I am saying is that to many, many people it is convenient in so many ways.

You will recall the brouhaha when wages were paid in a wage packet full of real cash and everyone opted for bank payments instead. Change always brings a dissenting outcry.

lindsay ormerod my posts are in Times New Roman 12 point and that translates to size 3 on the forum. On my computer they are the same size as other posts so either you have a problem with your machine or you are winding me up. I have seen my own posts on someone else’s computer and they have never been so small that they couldn’t be read.

However I do know that most times when I paste my post into the reply field the last paragraph comes out in size 2 and I have to change it to size 3.